Sunday, July 26, 2009

As a followup to a post from earlier in the week concerning daycare.....

Carter was in the toddler room again on Thursday. I got there during snack time, so I sat with Carter while he ate his cookies. When I get to daycare, Carter wants me immediately, so I held him in my lap to avoid a melt down. One of his teachers made comments about my spoiling him. I also noticed they waited to fill out his daily report of nap time and diaper changes until I get there to pick him up. As I was leaving, I noticed the room he should have been in was working on an art project. He missed out two days in a row.

On the way home, I decided to stop at another daycare that thought they would have an opening tomorrow. I spoke with the teacher's assistant (the teacher had already left for the day) and was very impressed. The director told me to call her at 12:30 on Friday to verify the student was actually withdrawing.

When I dropped Carter off on Friday morning, I asked about the withdrawal policy. The director was concerned and pulled me into her office to talk to her. I expressed my concerns but did not feel any better when I left. I cried the whole way home and sat at home and cried. Ok, you may think I'm nuts, but I absolutely adore some of the teachers and have established wonderful relationships with them. Two of my favorites were also on vacation this week. I know Carter is attached to them too, but I worry about the room he was being sent to. I don't think I would have been pleased there, and he would have moved there in about 2 months.

The new daycare did have an opening they that they would hold for 2 weeks which was perfect because his old one required a two week notice. I decided to find out if I could negotiate with them to withdraw him early, and they let me that afternoon. Again, I cried. I don't know why I am being so emotional about this decision. I guess I have just gotten too attached to some of the people there and I worry about his transition. I'm hoping we will be as pleased with his new daycare as we once were with his former one. I'm not looking forward to dropping him off in an unfamiliar place tomorrow. I will be a mess!

No comments: