Tuesday, March 23, 2010
I wrote this last week and forgot to post it. (Very indicative of my life!)
I did it! I completed my first half-marathon in Atlanta on Sunday. I had an early start at 6:10 when I met my friend Anna in our hotel lobby and walked over to Centennial Park where the race began. Anna wanted to meet up with some of her friends. After, we headed over to our start corral. We heard an announcement at the start of the wheel chair race and knew we would be starting 5 minutes later. Officials began to open the corrals, and we slowly walked forward until we were at the start line and began running. We immediately passed my parents who were waiting outside of our hotel. It was very crowded with over 16,000 runners. By mile three, it started drizzling on us which actually felt good. By mile 9, I was ready to be done. At mile 12, I realized, I could walk and still meet my goal of 2:10. Anna refused to let me walk. It seemed there was a hill around every corner, and the race would never end. When we finally made it to the finish line, we wound through, received our medals, and were offered all sorts of food. My food of choice: 2 oreos! I really didn't want anything, but when offered oreos, I couldn't resist. We continued winding our way through the end and eventually made it into Centennial Park where we began looking for my family. I looked for them along the course and never saw them. They watched me at the end, but I couldn't see them through the crowd. After, we said our goodbyes to Anna and headed back to the hotel where I showered, and everyone else went to get breakfast. After cleaning up, I met them downstairs and enjoyed a wonderful plate of eggs benedict. I didn't feel too great for the rest of the day, but I was very proud of my accomplishment. The best part was catching up with Anna. I hadn't seen her since June 2007. Anna is a veteran racer, so it was awesome to run with her. She even filled my water bottle for me as we ran! Now, it's off to Nashville in April.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment