Sunday, November 15, 2009

Can I tell you how glad I am Kevin's baseball season is over? This is the most disorganized thing I have ever seen. We had a dilemma. I had a 9-10 mile run yesterday morning, and Kevin had to leave the house at 9:00 for his 10:00 game. I knew my running buddy wasn't going to make it to our team run, so I was afraid I would be with a slower group and not be able to make it home in time for Kevin to leave. I got on mapmyrun.com and figured out a 9 mile run around our neighborhood. This was a HUGE thing because our neighborhood is MUCH more hilly than where we practice, and I wouldn't have my teammates to motivate me along with the water stops set up for us. I didn't want to be selfish and cause Kevin to miss his game.

I was proud of myself for tackling some enormous hills and completing the run on my own with very little walking around mile 8 (my knees were hurting). I made it home while cursing the hills. Kevin left for his game and called me shortly after arriving at the ball fields 30 minutes away to let me know not enough people showed up and the fields were in no condition for playing. I was slightly angry to say the least. Kevin did make it home just in time to take Carter to get his flu shot. When we arrived at the pediatrician, the parking lot was full, and there was a line outside the building. The lady at the check in said there was at least a 45 minute wait. When I inquired if that was for people with appointments, she told me they were not accepting walkins. Of course, I went off on her to let her know how ridiculous this was, and in my job, I can't be late and make people wait. I took the paper work anyway and headed to the back of the line while Kevin hung his head in total embarassment. I figured what the heck, Kevin and I should at least get our shots while there, so I sent Kevinto get the paperwork for us. We waited outside for about thirty minutes while they let one family at a time go upstairs to the packed waiting room. After another 30 minutes, we were finally called back. Carter got both the H1N1 vaccine and the seasonal flu vaccine. Kevin and I received the seasonal vaccine, and I had received the H1N1 at work on Thursday. Hopefully, we will be well. Carter did wake up from his nap today with fever. I'm hoping it was just a brief reaction. If it's not, it's Kevin's turn to stay home.

Anyway, back to the baseball. Kevin had another game at 1:00 today. That was fine. It coincided with Carter's nap time. I cooked a dinner for us and a coworker who juat had a baby, worked on lesson plans, and ironed. Kevin called at 3:00 to tell me they hadn't started plahying yet. The commissioner who plays on the other team was running late and had the gear. I think the other team should have had to forfeit, but that's not how things run with this league. I'm hoping Kevin can find a league that's a little more organized to play for next season.

These are jus the situations from this weekend which are totally typical.

No comments: