
Oh, I totally forgot to post about my fun experience from last week. Student Council was planning a dance, and decided it would be fun to have a teacher dance-off. The way this worked was the teacher of the 3 homerooms who donated the most money had to particpate in a dance contest at the school dance. My students said, "Oh, Mrs. House!" as soon as it was announced. I started with the bribery.....brownies, chik-fil-A for for breakfast, whatever I could think of, and they agreed not to give money for me. Well, at their lockers, I overheard a student say, "Let her bring the chick-fil-a, and then, we'll give the money." My deal was off.
When any student would come to my room to collect money, I would kick them out immediately. My kids found some way to donate the money, so I had to participate. I could have donated enough money to another teacher, but I decided to have fun with it. I told my students if they donated money, their homework was to bring in a song and a dance for me.
After much discussion, I decided to dance to Get Silly. I studied the youtube video for quite some time and decided I needed to go all out. I planned to borrow a pair of Kevin's jeans and his belt to wear sagging over a pair of boxers. I knew one of my students had a big puffy coat with fur around the hood I could wear. I also decided to make my own bling. A few of my girls were very worried about me, so they skipped part of lunch to make sure I knew what I was doing and to time when I should throw my coat off. So, we get to the dance, and the DJ didn't have my song. I convinced him to download it because I didn't want my preparation to go to waste. My competition was a young guy who did the Soulja Boy and a good friend who decided to shag. The students did scream the loudest when I started. I was even introduced as Mrs. Hizzle. I looked out into the crowd of students and realized most of them were holding a cell phone to video and/or take pictures of me. I had my two girls be back up dancers, but they quit on me part of the way through. It was my understanding we would have to dance for a very short period. After an agonizing 20 minutes (ok, it felt like it), I turned around and pleaded with anyone I could find to stop the music. My students said, "Just freestyle." Huh??? In the end, the young guy won. I was rather disappointed, but I did have a blast. The next day, my students were more than willing to show me their new wallpaper on their cell phones.......me dancing! I know one of the teachers got a video of the whole thing. I haven't been brave enough to locate it.


(the green on my bling is a money sign....that was one of my student's assignments for the day)

No comments:
Post a Comment